ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews seeks an experienced technologist with a background in direct support to join Internews Global Technology Hub (GTH) to provide mentoring, training, and ongoing support for our media partners working across the Sub-Saharan Africa region. You’ll join a small team providing a direct connection between Internews’s partners and beneficiaries and offering vital support and assistance to local partners using digital tools for publishing, broadcasting, and communication more effectively, securely, and safely.
This is a remote-based position. All remote candidates will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates based in U.S. or MENA region. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon
This is a limited term position with an anticipated term of 12 months. This position may possibly be extended, contingent upon funding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people . Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Conduct needs assessment in different digital capacities to develop support and training plans with different partner organisations;
- Helping with administration, support, trouble shooting for websites (including many built in Wordpress, Drupal,and other prominent open source CMS) as well as training on use of online publishing platforms;
- Delivering IT support and assisting with digital safety and information security training, guidance and mentoring;
- Support partner organisatons in the use of digital collaboration tools, helping benchmark and select tools, set policies for efficient, secure and safe use, ensure the organization develops the capacity to manage the system even beyond the period of support with Internews;
- Helping partners better access, understand and use metrics tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook page insights and so forth;
- Support partners in the compilation and understanding of website and social media analytics;
- Support partners in the increasing of audience engagement;
- Collaborating on documentation of processes and in extending training materials; and
- Working with an international team to maintain good communications, timelines and maintain reasonable expectations on service delivery.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values .
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Fluency in Arabic and English;
- Passions for free expression and internet freedom;
- Patience, and excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to explain technical concepts in plain language for individuals and groups with different levels of digital experience and understanding;
- Ability to work in a globally distributed team on projects with multiple milestones and deliverables;
- Able to provide support remotely, working with those who may have technical difficulties;
- Experience with delivering technical support over internet chat, voice or video calls or in creating documented how-to lessons and resources;
- Experience with and understanding of social media and website analytics and the use of the data for furthering audience engagement;
- An understanding of digital safety and information security practices;
- Set up, install, and use end-to-end encryption in communications and file transmission; and
- Documentation ability and writing for hand-over, and clear writing.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in web development and DevOpsFamiliarity working with git;
- Managing hosting environment for WordPress and other php website installations and migration;
- Comfortable editing HTML, CSS, and Markdown ;
- A solid understanding of information security and internet’s building blocks: DNS, SSL, IP, etc.;
- Managing domain records;
- Using anti-DDOS services and other attack-mitigation technologies (Cloudflare, Deflect, etc.);
- Fluency in at least one other regional or vernacular language (Persian, Turkish, French, Russian, etc) is advantageous;
- Experience in organizational security assessments (SAFETAG or other frameworks) is advantageous;
- Experience or interest in working with charities and NGOs, nonprofits, media, human rights and/or civil society groups
- Able to plan, create and simulate penetration methods, scripts and tests
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter in English.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.