Nationwide Building Society has always delivered great service in new ways: for example, we were one of the first UK financial services providers to provide online banking. Now we want to extend and unify our service for our members and our colleagues, helping us keep and extend our lead as the nation’s best regarded building society.
In the 1980s, Nationwide were the first building society to offer current accounts to its members. We continue to innovate with banking propositions, and we’re investing heavily in streamlining our processes to make it simpler and quicker to open an account with us. As part of that investment, we’re looking for a Technology Lead for Current Account Originations.
As a responsible employer, Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, so applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing:
Our Technology Leads are responsible for the quality of the applications that their teams build, so you’ll work with the teams to provide direction and establish principles for the work they’ll do. We’ll expect you to drive decisions and unblock teams so we can reach fast flow.
You’ll have the close support of colleagues elsewhere in the Hassle Free Money mission and in the Chief Technology Office. You can expect to work alongside experts in banking, CRM and risk, as well as colleagues who understand how our branch systems work and how best to deliver exceptional service. Above all, we’ll give you the freedom you’ll need to propose and deliver the best solution for our members.
We understand that learning is essential for us to grow, so we’ll provide access to Pluralsight courses, together with subscriptions to developer portals, regular training courses, and the time that you need to learn. There are plenty of opportunities for you to teach, too.
For the role of Tech Lead in Current Accounts Origination we’ll expect you to know the following:
- Strong knowledge of defining solutions using single-page applications (we use ReactJS) to server-side applications using .NET (ours run in containers on Kubernetes)
- Good knowledge of security and authentication workflows
- A background developing microservices in the .NET stack
- The ability to understand (and debug) complex systems
- Familiarity with continuous integration, and the benefits it can bring
- Understanding of how and what to test
- Not essential for this role but any experience with Kubernetes, OpenShift or another container platform (we use EKS on AWS and AKS on Azure) is highly desirable
- An understanding of threat modelling and where the focus of security should be
- Good communication skills – and good listening skills, too
- Ability to mentor, coach and lead a team
You can expect to be a leader of two or three journey teams, so it’s a definite bonus if you’ve experience helping support developers.
As you’d expect, we want to take good care of our member’s money, so we’ll expect you to be aware of good security principles.
Nationwide is known globally as an expert in agile development, and you’ll be joining an organisation with a world-class group of coaches, ready to help you and your colleagues find great ways of working. You’ll have the support of other leaders alongside you in our other Originations journeys to help provide the context and understanding of our processes.
The extras you’ll get:
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Car Allowance
- 30 days holiday, pro rata
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
We recognise that the world of work has changed, and as part of our commitment to ‘work for our day’ we support remote working throughout the UK.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, Nationwide.
Be the first to know aboutnew jobs every week
Get crypto 8 new jobs with salaries, once per week! Sign up here so you don't miss a single newsletter.