Headquarters: Portland, Oregon, United States
Demand for our services is growing and we need additional expertise to help with a variety of long-term, large-scale projects. We're hiring a Drupal software engineer with a passion for technology in education.
We are seeking people looking for meaning in their work, who want to be empowered to make a difference in the lives of educators and students everywhere. We are seeking someone eager to bring their perspective and expertise, to champion a project, process, or idea, and see it through to help us exceed our clients' expectations.
You will be working collaboratively with others on interesting and challenging problems that leverage and grow your skills.
We believe great ideas and talent can come from anywhere. Whether you're a recent college/university graduate or an experienced professional ready to work on a team that has purpose and meaning, you are welcome here.
If you're interested in having the flexibility of working on a variety of web applications that help improve the process and practice of teaching and learning, please consider submitting your application.
Who we hire for this role is expected to contribute to Clarity's success through their expertise and skills in Drupal web development performing the following major job duties:
- Planning, designing, and engineering custom Drupal-based web applications;
- Evaluating, installing, and configuring Drupal and third-party modules;
- Working with a team to understand and influence a project's goals and requirements and how those goals align with the client's business and needs;
- Proposing effective and efficient solutions that comply with established guidelines for data security, instructional design, user experience, and software development best practices;
- Peer-reviewing engineering work, consulting on QA test plans, tracking open issues, and resolving issues as needed;
- Staging and migrating development instances of Drupal into live production;
- Collaborating with colleagues to give feedback on, develop, and implement the visual style and instructional design, functionality, and content specifications for each of the software projects You are assigned; and,
- Working closely within a team and goal oriented environment, in a proactive manner, assuming such responsibilities as are necessary to get the job done (i.e., no such thing as ‘not my job').
- You have applied experience modifying or expanding upon custom and third-party Drupal modules.
- You enjoy diving into the middle of an existing web application, reviewing code to piece together meaning, and developing a strategy for implementing desired changes.
- You are comfortable using the command line to work with Drush and git.
- You thrive by collaborating with multiple teams and use your communication skills to influence product direction.
- You are knowledgeable about at least one genre of science fiction.
Candidates are expected to have had at least two (2) years experience creating and supporting Drupal websites, having gained experience in at least a few of the following:
- Created a custom module;
- Deployed a release into live production;
- Developed a website with multiple Drupal roles, including both internal and external user roles;
- Implemented custom Drupal themes based on Zen, Bootstrap, Zurb or an equivalent base theme;
- Helped with a Drupal migration;
- Maintained and supported a website with more than 500 registered users for at least a year; or,
- Managed a Drupal-based website hosted on Acquia, Pantheon, or AWS.
EducationAn associate's degree from an accredited educational institution with emphasis in computer science or web development, or its equivalent from hands-on job experience is expected. Coursework towards a professional certification is preferred. Likewise, membership in a professional organization of a related field is desired though not required.
Clarity Innovations invests in your success in several ways:
- Medical, dental, vision, prescription, life, and short & long term disability insurance at no cost to you
- Automatic 6% employer paid contribution to your 401(k) plan (no match required!)
- Nine (9) paid holidays (ten, counting your birthday, which is always a paid day off)
- Accrue up to ten (10) hours of PTO each month (that's up to three weeks paid time off per year to start!)
- An annual grant of PTO each January (in addition to the monthly accrual), based on years of service with us: start with up to 40 hours for your first year
- Flexible scheduling (without taking PTO) and full-time telecommuting privileges
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for out-of-pocket medical and dependent care costs
- Membership dues in a professional association of your choice in a relevant field
- Monthly lunch & learns and quarterly department lunches
- Nursing (or quiet privacy) room (if working from our office in Portland, Oregon)
- Bike (and runner) friendly facility with onsite showers, indoor bike rack, spare lock, tire repair, and lights (if working from our office in Portland, Oregon)
- Dedicated time set aside for professional learning, development, and growth
- Books, software, snacks, and supplies as needed
- Semi-annual team activities and paid community volunteering time (including contributing back to open-source projects)
- Adjustable height desk and your choice of chair at our office (if located in Portland, Oregon)
Our team is now working from whereever they'd like, whether that's at home or at the office in Portland, Oregon, or elsewhere in the United States. When hired, we will assist you with setting up for remote working.
This position is paid no less than $78,500 annually, and is adjusted upwards based on your experience and qualifications, and internal pay equity. Please note that our commitment to pay equity means our salary offer will be our best possible offer, and not negotiable so that we may maintain internal pay equity for all employees. We then evaluate your compensation no less than annually and may make adjustments based on your job performance and professional growth, market data, while maintaining pay equity (as per Oregon law).
This position requires successful completion of employment and education verification and a COVID-19 vaccine (unless exempt by applicable law) as conditions of employment. A failure to meet these requirements may result in the retraction of a job offer and/or other actions, up to and including termination of employment.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
We cultivate a culture of inclusion and pursue strategies that increase the representation of women and people of color in our company. We are working to achieve this through informal discussions and learning experiences about implicit/unconscious biases, clarifying and advancing inclusive norms, investing in everyone's professional development, dedicating attention to leadership training, and offering opportunities for broader engagement by everyone to help refine and expand the company's policies and practices.
Please follow these instructions to prepare your cover letter and resume before applying.