Location: Remote working from the West Coast of the USA
Job Type: Permanent, full-time.
MEGA The Privacy Company provides global services from its Head Office in New Zealand. Built with Privacy by Design, MEGA provides a range of zero-knowledge encrypted cloud storage and communication solutions for individuals and businesses.
We launched in 2013 and have grown to a global team of more than 180 people who are motivated by next-generation technology and design, supporting more than 270M registered users, using desktop and mobile apps across all major platforms.
Check out MEGA blog to find out more about what our team are up to.
About this role
As a Senior C++ Backend Engineer, you'll work alongside an international team architecting and developing a C++ service that provides access to MEGA through a state-of-the-art standard RESTful API: AWS S3. Part of a global team, you'll report to the C++ Backend Team Lead.
You'll make an impact by:
- extending our current service offerings by adding new features consistent with MEGA's guidelines and standards
- writing high-quality code and participating in code reviews
- actively engaging with team members, and mentoring as well as supporting them
- helping resolve technical challenges, problems, and bottlenecks to boost our server performance and security
- risk assessing technical problems, existing approaches, and patterns, and actively seeking solutions
- implementing unitary and integration tests
- contributing to engineering guidelines and our technical infrastructure to help enhance our products and improve reliability and efficiency
- collaborating with other engineers as well as product, design, and QA teams to ensure great user experiences
- adhering to our high security and privacy standards underpinned by our zero-knowledge encryption.
This is a remote role working from the West Coast of the USA, ideally San Francisco or LA. This role requires flexible working hours as you will collaborate with teams globally.
You enjoy transforming complex problems into simple, efficient and correct algorithms.
You are platform-agnostic and able to work with MEGA's build environments for networks and servers.
You’re proactive, self-motivated, disciplined, and willing to step out of your comfort zone to try something new.
- over 6 years of experience in C++ software development in a commercial environment
- experience working with C++17 and using git for version control
- experience debugging, core dump analysis, deadlock identification, and memory corruption analysis
- experience in software profiling and in identifying bottlenecks and inefficiencies
- experience in Linux development
- knowledge of POSIX
- desirable experience or knowledge of AWS S3, IPC mechanisms, and multi-threading programming
- experience in network technology and server development
- an eye for detail and coding accuracy with a drive to present Clean Code
- excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a good command of English.
Ideally, you also hold a tertiary qualification in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related discipline.
What MEGA offers
Along with the freedom of remote and flexible working, continuous development and opportunities for future growth, you’ll enjoy a competitive remuneration package.
This is a stable role within a secure industry, with the opportunity to work with passionate and experienced engineers, designers, product managers and other stakeholders across the globe.
We have great and responsive leadership, a fun, hardworking team and plenty of ongoing learning opportunities that mean you’ll continue to grow with us.
MEGA will also consider assisting candidates who wish to relocate to New Zealand, where our Head Office is located.